mc94301
2003/03/31
      ( 1:34 PM ) cxjo  
vietnam II
"'Dawa is one group that could kill Saddam,' a former American intelligence official told me. 'They hate Saddam because he suppressed the Shiites. They exist to kill Saddam.' He said that their apparent decision to stand with the Iraqi regime now was a 'disaster for us. 'They’re like hard-core Vietcong.'
.....
Robert Baer, a former C.I.A. Middle East operative, told me in a telephone call from Jordan, 'Everybody wants to fight. The whole nation of Iraq is fighting to defend Iraq. Not Saddam. They’ve been given the high sign, and we are courting disaster. If we take fifty or sixty casualties a day and they die by the thousands, they’re still winning. It’s a jihad, and it’s a good thing to die. This is no longer a secular war.'"

new yorker article

#
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Comments: Post a Comment


contact me by email. Who am I?

dailies: when i have time: RSS feed
archives:


in search of...

Powered by Blogger